11.27.2007
... and now for something completely different
today i started my new internship. i met a lot of people with a lot of names. i don't remember any of them except for a Mr. Li Wang, movie reviewer, because he had wet hands. It occured to me how secretive we are about private habits in public places, and yet how this secretiveness is entirely necessary. For example, what if Mr. Li Wang had turned to me and said, "Very nice to meet you, Megan, and I do hope you'll excuse my wet hands as I'm just fresh out of the men's room?" This would have been bad because then I would have thought about how Mr. Li Wang had probably just taken a piss, holding a certain part of his body in his hands with which I hope to never ever come in contact, then washed his hands -- perhaps without any soap, if no one was around -- and then came directly out and touched my hands. That image is disturbing and better left unmentioned. Li Wang must have agreed with me because he merely shook my hand without saying a word, and I was left to imagine the image anyway in my head sans apology, as he hurried awkwardly away back to his desk and I wiped my hand quickly onto my black chinos before moving on to to shake the hand of Mrs. Mary something-or-other, staff reporter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment